OC/Selective Holiday Program
Starting Saturday 1st July 2023
BOOK NOW by Clicking ‘Contact us’ on this page
The OC/Selective Holiday Program is a course package designed to prepare students in Year 4 and Year 5 for OC/Selective School Placement Exam.
As part of this program, students will practice tests for three subjects: Reading Comprehension , Mathematical Reasoning and Thinking Skills . Each of these subjects will equip students with the skills needed to prepare them for all three components of the OC/Selective Placement exam, and beyond in their future education.
For new Ingenious Academy students:
To enrol your child into this holiday program, they must be currently in Year 4 or Year 5
For existing Ingenious Academy students:
Current Yr 4 or Yr 5 students who are enrolled in either one or more of the following courses (Rocket Maths, Reading Heroes, Super Writers & Thinking Skills) can enrol in the Holiday Program. Note that enrolling in this special course will increase a student's subject load.
Frequently Asked Questions about the OC/Selective School Placement Exam
What are Opportunity Classes?
Opportunity classes (OC) are classes located at selected government primary schools, that cater towards academically talented Year 5 and Year 6 students. In OC classes, students are given the opportunity to work on extended material with peers of similar ability.
What is a Selective School?
Selective Schools are schools which admit students on the basis of academic merit. These schools predominantly cater to academically-gifted students. Because of their academic criterion, selective high schools are unzoned, meaning parents can apply regardless of where they live.
Who can enrol into Opportunity Classes? Should I enrol my child?
All Year 4 students are eligible for enrolment into an OC through the OC placement test. In deciding whether or not your child should enrol, it is important to consider your child’s personality and academic performance. The OC will benefit students who need to be challenged and thrive in a competitive atmosphere.
What are the different types of selective schools?
There are two key types of selective schools: fully-selective where all students are admitted based on the Selective School Placement Exam, and partially-selective, which have separate selective classes and non-selective classes for local students.
In total, there are 17 fully-selective schools and 25 partially-selective schools. Thus, places in Selective Schools are competitive and limited.
What is the Opportunity Class Placement Test?
The OC placement test is a rigorous exam required for admission into OC. Since 2021, the Opportunity class placement test have changed, with the topics tested being:
- Reading Comprehension (25 Questions – 30 minutes)
- Mathematical Reasoning (35 Questtions – 40 minutes)
- Thinking Skills (30 Questions – 30 minutes)
What is the Selective High School Placement Test?
The Selective High School Placement Test is a rigorous exam required for admission into Selective Schools. The test consists of four topics:
- Reading Comprehension (40 minutes, 30 multiple choice questions)
- Mathematical Reasoning (40 minutes, 35 multiple choice questions)
- Thinking Skills (40 minutes, 40 multiple choice questions)
- Writing (30 minutes, 1 open-ended question)
How do I book my child for this Holiday Program?
Send us an email at email@example.com or click CONTACT US NOW.
Seats will be allocated on First come First Serve basis as we have limited spots available!
OC/ Selective Mock Tests
As part of the this crash course, students will appear for OC/Selective Exam trial tests (digital/on paper) to further develop their skills and confidence.
- Each session, students will have a trial test for questions across Mathematical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Thinking Skills or Writing.
- Students will receive detailed, personalised feedback at the end of each test including specific strategies to correct their mistakes and fill knowledge gaps
- The trial tests are carefully created to mimic the difficulty and latest style of the actual OC/Selective exam. They are designed to give students the confidence they need for the real exam.
If interested, please CONTACT US NOW. Seats will be allocated on First come First Serve basis as we have limited spots available!