For Kindergarten to Year 3
In today’s fast-paced world, there is a growing need for confidence in mathematics ability starting from a young age.
The Abacus Program is a holistic course designed for children aged 5 to 10 years old . This is the prime age to develop mental arithmetic skills as well as confidence in one’s ability. The Abacus program is the first step towards whole-brain development, establishing a solid foundation and interest in basic arithmetics at a young age.
The Abacus Program is divided into a series of levels that increase with complexity ranging from basic addition and subtraction operations to multi-digit multiplication and division mental calculations.
- Each level is designed for approximately 3 to 4 months and the total duration of the course is approximately 30 months or 2.5 years.
- Classes are held once a week through 60- or 90-minute sessions.
However, the Abacus program is designed to provide a personalised, learning experience. The program will move at the pace of the student whilst also challenging them to push past their limitations.
- This personalised experience will unlock your child’s potential, providing a solid foundation in arithmetics useful in not only school and academics, but in day to day life.
- After every level, students are assessed on their capabilities through ‘Level Tests’, which ensures students master the content in one level, before advancing to the next.
A Brain Development Program
Did you know that 80% of people around the world focus on using only the left-side of the brain? That means, people use the left side of their brain more, which is focused on logic, analysis and calculations. As a result, the right side of the brain, the part that deals with creativity and imagination, is underutilised.
Our Abacus Program is a brain development program that focuses on both sides of the brain. Our uniquely designed coursework will simultaneously stimulate a child’s left and right brain at the same time!
- The Left-Side of the Brain will be stimulated through the challenging arithmetic calculations that encourage students to find the right solutions with accuracy.
- The Right-Side of the Brain will be stimulated through the visualisation of the Abacus that complements the challenging calculations conducted by the left-side.
When both sides of the brain are stimulated and trained simultaneously, it facilitates whole brain development. This will have numerous benefits for your child in not just mathematics, but also:
- Increased Concentration
- Enhanced Memory and Recall Ability
- Mathematical intuition at an early age
An Alternative Approach to Mathematics
The rigid syllabi of the public school system do not often accommodate all students. Students may not often gain the learning experience they require in a school setting. Our Abacus Program, however, provides a powerful alternative approach to understanding mathematics. Our program will teach mathematics in a visually-engaging manner, giving children the personalised care and attention they need to succeed!
Confidence and Fun!
Through its personalised experience and whole-brain development, the Abacus Program will boost a child’s confidence in maths at an early age - something that’s needed in our fast-paced society. The visual aspect of our abacus program can also be an enjoyable and fun experience for students, which can boost a child’s love for mathematics!
Altogether, the Abacus program will provide a solid foundation for students in a fun and engaging way! Check out our testimonials to see past alumni boasting about their experience.
Highlights of the Course Work
For Kindergarten and Year 1
- For our youngest students, the program begins with teaching the Finger Method of Counting which is based on the Abacus.
- This introductory level will cover key foundational concepts, which are crucial for further learning of mathematics
- Concepts covered include number recognition including reading and writing, number comparisons, basic adding and subtraction, word problems, even-odd recognition, char numbers data-graphs, probability and Vann diagrams, and understanding of place values for numbers up to 99.
For Year 2 to Year 3
- The main part of our program is the introduction of the Abacus.
- For our younger students completing the Finger Method, this builds directly from their existing knowledge. For our older students, it’s a perfect introduction to the Abacus straight from the first class!
- The program will involve both abacus and mental calculations for addition and subtraction questions up to 10,000. It will also involve abacus and mental calculations for multiplication and division for up to 3 digit numbers.
- Concepts covered include abacus and mental calculations for addition, subtraction and multiplication, decimals, fractions and percentages.